Sunday, March 27, 2016

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by JK Rowling

Oh, Harry Potter. I have such a long history with this book series, but I won't go into detail in this post. By the beginning of summer I should be done with the whole series and then I will post an epic rambling of my Harry Potter shenanigans. I am currently reading/re-reading the series because I had lie to my husband when we started dating saying I had read all the books. Now that we are married he has made me promise to actually read all the books. In the past I have only read #1, 2, 3, & 7. I skipped #4,5, & 6 which are, apparently, the best in the series. So here I am, finished with book three and ready to plunge into uncharted territory after this post.

So far Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban is my favorite book. It has been in the past when I have read it and it has also been my favorite of all the films. Rereading it was a joy because there was more that I had forgotten than I realized. This book also marks the beginning, in regards to the films, where much is changed or left out. Thus, even though I have seen the movie recently, there was much to be rediscovered.

What I love about this book is that it really broadens the wizarding world for the first time. I love exploring Hogsmeade and learning more about Azkaban and The Leaky Cauldron. The depth of characters like Sirius, Lupin, and Snape is also an aspect of this novel that begins to showcase Rowling's true talent and transcends the book from "children's lit" to just "literature". Hermione begins to shine in her own right during the third year, not just in regards to her classwork and the time turner, but also in her opinions, loyalty, and confidence. She is my favorite character in the series so being able to see her growth and burst out of her shell is always exciting to read. (Plus, who wouldn't love a book where Hermione slaps Malfoy?!)

Harry Potter is a truly defining series of this generation. I am late to the ball game but happy to find that I am enjoying this rediscovery of the book series. Even though I have seen all of the films I am excited and eager to move on to the next book. There is something about reading through these adventures, as opposed to seeing it, that lends the series its magic. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban is where that magic begins to pull me in every time.



No comments:

Post a Comment