Saturday, April 9, 2016

Poet Review: Lang Leav

As many of you may know, April is National Poetry Month. So I decided to make my first post of the month about a poet I discovered this year. Her name is Lang Leav. She is a poet and artist who lives with her boyfriend who is also a poet (they are the Neil Gaiman and Amanda Palmer of the poet world).

I first found her book Love and Misadventure in Barnes and Noble on display. I loved the way the book looked so I took it home. And proceeded to devour it. Then I went out and bought her second book Lullabies, which I loved even more. She has a third book, Memories, which I have yet to read. But it is a compilation of poetry from her first two books mingled with new pieces. Lang Leav has her fourth poetry book due in October and sometime soon her debut novel. I plan to read all of it.

What I love about her books is that they combine her art with her poetry and bits of prose. She weaves a mismatched story with it all that is just beautiful. Most of her poems are short, but so strikingly beautiful I end up rereading most of them two or three times before turning the page. She focuses on the subject of love which feels like a nod to the poets of old like John Keats. And yet her poems are also refreshingly modern and relateable. Lang Leav is by far my favorite living poet. I recommend her to everyone because the shortness of her writing is accessible to those not familiar with poetry and the depth of her work can be appreciated by someone more knowledgeable about the poetry world. She is truly a brilliant poet and I can't wait to read what she releases next.


*Unrelated note: I apologize for the delay in posts. I recently found out I am pregnant (yay!) and have not been feeling 100%. Thus I will be focusing on only posting once a week, instead of twice, aiming for every Friday. Thank you for following and happy reading
!!*

No comments:

Post a Comment