Friday, June 9, 2017

Update and Review of Throne of the Crescent Moon by Saladin Ahmed

 Hi! I'm back! I apologize for the long, unexplained hiatus. It was unplanned but came about because I had not really been reading recently. I know, shocking, but my mind has been so wrapped up in other things that I could hardly focus on anything, let alone reading. I found out back in April that I was pregnant again. While this news was welcome and joyful it was also frightening given my history. I am finally getting past the scary points and have been delving into books again. Until December when my little one arrives, I should be posting regularly once more. The first book I picked back up was Throne of the Crescent Moon.

Image from Amazon
I had heard of Throne of the Crescent Moon quite a few years ago. It was always a book I was interested in but never picked up when I ran to the bookstore. Then my husband and I attended Phoenix Comic Con a couple of weeks ago and the author Scott Lynch mentioned the novel. I felt like fantasy would be a good genre to pull me back into reading and so I went to the bookstore a few days later and finally bought Throne of the Crescent Moon.

This novel moved very quickly, which I enjoyed. There was a lot of action but it was not overly descriptive. The magic systems in the book were not explained in full and I think that helped lend the book it's pace. Sometimes I feel if magic is laid out rule by rule I lose interest. Saladin Ahmed did a perfect job of explaining just enough for me to want to know more but not enough to bore me. His magic systems were unique. There were religious aspects and elemental aspects that gave the magic a very ancient vibe. The book in and of itself had religious undertones but they were not "in your face" so to speak.  Throne of the Crescent Moon is very aware of itself.

I did feel as though the book ended a bit too easily and am curious to see what the sequel will bring. But I loved that there was a happy ending for the main character of Dr. Adoulla. Aside from him, my favorite characters were probably Zamia and Litaz. They are female characters that are strong and also kick some serious butt. I am hoping there is more about them in the upcoming novels, as this is meant to be the beginning of a trilogy.

Overall, this was a book I devoured and enjoyed. I would recommend it to anyone who enjoys fantasy of any kind. If the other books were out I would already be diving into them. I am sorry again for the hiatus. And also sorry for the brevity of this post, pregnancy brain is a real thing. Happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment