Sunday, April 16, 2017

The Sandman: Volume One Preludes and Nocturnes by Neil Gaiman

When I first discovered Neil Gaiman I devoured everything I could find, even if it was out of my comfort zone. So one day I found myself reading his Sandman comic series. That was four or five years ago. This week I sat down to reread the first volume Preludes and Nocturnes and was just as in love the second time around.

There are eight stories in this volume that make up the first complete story arc of Sandman. The art done by Sam Kieth, Mike Dringenberg, and Malcolm Jones III is fantastically horrifying. In fact, Sandman overall is fantastically horrifying. There are images and moments and stories from it that have stayed with me and struck me again as I reread. Dave McKean's covers for each story are striking and beautiful.  

Preludes and Nocturnes drew me in. The story "24 Hours" is one of my favorites as the grotesque poetry of it is haunting and thought provoking. It deals with the dark stuff of humanity and storytelling. Morpheus himself is an intriguing character, not just because he is Dream, The Sandman, but because he has existential crises just like humans. He has his own sense of what is just and unjust. And at his heart, Morpheus is the ultimate storyteller.

Overall, the reason why I love this series so much is because it scares me but also makes me think. It is not the most terrifying thing but not the most comfortable. It does what good art and writing is supposed to do, according to me anyway. This first volume really speaks to that and is a wonderful introduction to the series of Sandman. Comics are where Neil Gaiman really began and so as a fan of the author I always love to recommend this graphic novel. Even if you know nothing of Neil Gaiman and you just enjoy comics or horror or good storytelling, then you will enjoy Preludes and Nocturnes.

No comments:

Post a Comment