Friday, March 3, 2017

Norse Mythology by Neil Gaiman

I am not going to go on my Neil Gaiman spiel for the umpteenth time. If you are a new reader please feel free to click on the "NeilGaiman" tag and that will take you to previous posts! What I will say is that when I found out he was coming out with his own retelling of his favorite myths, I was very excited and also unsure of what to expect.

I know very little about Norse mythology. There are bits of it in other Gaiman books and bits of it in the Marvel universe and so on, but that is where the knowledge stops. I have spent more of my life interested in Greek mythology and thus have more knowledge of its tales. So after finishing Norse Mythology, while I enjoyed it, I felt that I would have enjoyed it that much more if I actually knew about the tales he was retelling. Because to me this book just read like any other mythology book, including my favorite Mythology by Edith Hamilton; which is to the book and Neil's credit of course. Sometimes telling a tale simply can be harder than telling it on a grander scale. So I enjoyed seeing Neil work wit this kind of storytelling and excel at it. I am sure his passion for these myths is what helped him do that.

Even though I did not feel a deep connection with this book, I did read it very quickly. And I particularly loved the myth "The Mead of Poets". Each myth had some deep wisdom within it, as well as a touch of Neil Gaiman. So devouring this book came from ease and enjoyment and not from a need to finish it so it could be over.

Norse Mythology is not a book I would recommend as an introduction to Neil Gaiman The Author. Rather, it is a book I would recommend if you love Norse mythology or myths in general, or if you have read other Gaiman books. It is a book I would recommend for you to take on a short trip or read when you need to forget about other things going on in your life. Overall, this book will make you smile and think and want to learn more if you don't already have that knowledge. This book is a beautiful reminder of simpler times and simpler tales and why those tales are so important.

No comments:

Post a Comment