Thursday, February 2, 2017

Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman

I just finished reading Neverwhere for the third time. I have not only read the novel but I also own the graphic novel and have listened to the BBC radio version of the tale (which I highly recommend). So all in all I guess this was my fifth time with the story. It is not my number one Gaiman book, but it is in the top five. It is one I cherish because it is full of wonder and mystery and allegories. It is a book I come back to because it is an adventure I love to go on. I don't recommend Neverwhere as someone's first Neil Gaiman book. But I always recommend it as their second or third.

Neverwhere tells the story of London Below, a place like London Above except not. It follows Richard, an ordinary man, and Door and the Marquis de Carabas, not so ordinary people, as they try to find out what happened to Door's family. That is all I will say so as not to ruin the intrigue of the story. The villains are some of the most entertaining I've encountered. And Door is my favorite heroine in any Neil Gaiman novel. I took a silly internet quiz that said she was the Gaiman character I am most like and that made me very happy.

The thing about Neverwhere that, for me, makes it so great is that it is a all of my favorite stories in one book. It is Alice in Wonderland and The Wizard of Oz but with a Neil Gaiman twist. The lessons taught throughout the book are archetypal and profound. These elements combined are what showcase Neil Gaiman's talents as a writer and storyteller. This post may have been short and sweet, but don't let that fool you. I just don't want to give away too much about a book that needs to be experienced. Neverwhere is pure Gaiman fairytale and that is why I love it.


1 comment:

  1. The BBC production was Phenomenal! and this book is tied with The Graveyard Book as my favorite Neil Book.

    ReplyDelete