Saturday, August 20, 2016

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by J.K. Rowling

The Harry Potter read through continues! I have just finished the last of the books I had not previously read. I will still be re-reading the seventh though as I promised my husband I would read them all and I also enjoy that book.

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince surprised me. It has never been my favorite film, as it is so dark. Yet it is my husband's favorite book from the series. So I entered it with an open mind and actually loved it. I don't know if it beats out #3 but I do think I enjoyed it more than #4. Oddly, the book seemed less dark than the film, at least until the end. I don't know. I just loved it! I read this book really fast and stayed up late last night to finish it. And once again I am in awe of the layered writing of J.K. Rowling. She continues to open her world a little more with each book and this one took me to the communication between the Muggle and Magic Ministers. This was not only very neat but also gave me that "oh shit" moment. Voldemort is BACK guys.

Even though I agree that Harry should not have been "cheating" in Slughorn's class, I do love the Half-Blood Prince potions book and all that it allows the reader to learn about the Wizarding world.
I enjoyed seeing a vulnerable side of Malfoy for once. I will always believe he is more a victim of bad parenting than inherent bad traits. The Pensieve is one of my all-time favorite things about the Harry Potter world and so of course I enjoyed all of the lessons with Dumbledore in which the two dive into memories. As these lessons are also what finally reveal Voldemort's story, I enjoyed that as well. I think villains are fascinating and learning their origin stories reveals so much. Plus, horcruxes.


Tonks is one of my favorite characters and I liked seeing more of her in this book. Although not nearly enough. It was because of her that I learned how and why Patronuses can change. (Side note: Her and Lupin are the cutest couple.) Speaking of couples, I do hate how in the midst of all the shit going on everyone in this book starts hooking up. I know that its an age think and Rowling was just trying to remind the reader that these people are still kids, but it just seemed to fill a lot of empty space. And I'll never understand the Ron and Hermione thing. This is the crux of my issue with this series, that it is at its heart, for kids. There are so many neat things and details that could be expanded on, especially if the books were written with the detail of something like The Lord of the Rings, but she doesn't do that. Granted, her writing is so superb that anyone can enjoy the books, but I just crave the rich details of this world!! Maybe that is why everyone is so obsessed with this series though??

Last but not least, Dumbledore. He has been an interesting guy from the beginning and no doubt a great wizard, but, I don't like him. I know this is such an unpopular opinion, don't hate me. I just don't understand why he cares about Harry the way he does and I think he allows Harry to get away with things he shouldn't. Dumbledore also seems more conceited than wise and I feel that in a way he is selfish. I really struggled this book with Dumbledore. And while I know his death is sad for many people and strengthens Voldemort....I don't really care. So before you yell at me I ask that you help me. Explain to me why Dumbledore is so beloved. Do it in a comment. Send me a message. Because I want to understand, I do.

Overall, this was a beautiful book. I enjoyed it immensely and I am diving straight into the seventh book once I finish this post. Definitely a favorite and I cannot believe it took me so long to actually read Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince.

No comments:

Post a Comment